Earlier, warehousing in India provided storage space to the organization to store their cargo as well as assemble various consignments in one container. However, today, they offer Container Freight Station (CFS) to consolidate freight like Less Than Container (LCL) goods and prepare them for their onward journey. Apart from these services, they take care of the allied processes involved in the entire chain of cargo movement.
In this article, we will discuss Container Freight Station in detail. So, without further ado, dive deep into it.
What Is a Container Freight Station (CFS)?
Container Freight Station is considered a large warehouse that is used for the consolidation and deconsolidation of LCL cargo. It is located near the port, terminal, railway hub, or inland container depot. They are either owned by shipping lines or terminals or privately by any organization. It is a relatively popular warehousing in Mumbai. It deals with the import and export of products at the point of origin and destinations, which makes them categorized into CFS origin and CFS destination.
Importance Of Container Freight Station (CFS)
Currently, a container freight station is considered a coveted facility in the import-export business. Because of these reasons, you will witness an increase in the shipment of LCL cargos too. It provides a central location that enables both the exporters and importers to send their products, store them securely, handle them and then send them to the end-user.
According to the report of the Comptroller and Auditor General Of India, Container Freight Station is the preferred destination of Indian exporters. Hence, Container Freight Station is important because:
- It bottleneck ports and terminals.
- It makes them free from multiple custom clearance procedures.
- It provides every benefit of shipping, including greater cargo security, efficient and timely loading, stuffing and de-stuffing, unloading, and even a variety of containers according to their customer’s needs.
- It maintains shipment records that contain the name of the exporter, importer, and customs agent, cargo details, origin and destination, and many more.
Functions Of Container Freight Station (CFS)
Container Freight Station contains the following functions:
- Receives and amalgamate LCL shipment for export
- It tends to prepare container load plans.
- It marks and seals containers for identification.
- It moves empty containers to container yards and loaded ones to port or terminal.
- It maintains and repairs damaged containers.
- It classifies, examines, and assesses the goods.
- It keeps the goods secure until they are shipped or picked up.
- It transports operations from port or terminal to its destination via road or rail.
- It stacks, stocks, tracks, and tallies containers before and after shipping the product.
- It is considered an empty storage space for cargo or even empty or loaded containers.
- At the destination, it de-consolidates the container as well as dispatches them for final delivery.
How does CFS Add Value To Warehousing in Mumbai?
CFS is treated as one of the most crucial services of the best logistics companies in India. It handles the entire set of cargo, ranging from fresh fruit, garments, and appliances to auto parts, chemicals, and steel. It is a boon for a time-sensitive freight shipment. It increases the efficiency of the entire supply chain. It is useful in EXIM trade as its cargo needs to be consolidated, transported, and de-consolidated within a short interval of time.
These warehousing in india are essential for customers looking for consistent consolidation services. It helps them to save cost and even provides them with an additional layer of security that prevents the goods from theft or damage while moving from the port to their final destination.
Moreover, CFS warehousing in mumbai offers services like bonded storage, container leasing, maintenance and repair, and many more. It encompasses heightened security protocols that make it different from conventional warehouses. Apart from these services, they have the latest fire-safety equipment for hazardous products.
Customer-centric Container Freight Station is going way beyond warehousing to offer an end-to-end solution to its customer. Unlike On-Demand Warehousing: Is it Risky or Smart Innovation for ecommerce? It has essentially increased its popularity by handling the cargo in a refined manner.