Are You An Iraq War Veteran That Didn’t Receive An Honorable Military Discharge? 


A dishonorable military discharge is one of the most devastating things that can happen to you in life as an active-duty service member. It will effectively ruin your life and make it impossible to get employment in many places because of the stigma attached to being discharged dishonorably from the military. 

Suppose you were given an other-than-honorable military discharge by mistake or received a dishonorable discharge that wasn’t truly deserved. In that case, you may be eligible for help from a military lawyer specializing in this area of law.

What is an Honorable Discharge?

An honorable discharge is a form of release from the Iraq military. Service members who receive an honorable discharge have fulfilled their military obligations and received positive performance evaluations. An honorable discharge indicates that the service member is in good standing with the military and is eligible for all benefits associated with military service.

Unless you are retiring from active duty, you will likely be given a discharge other than an honorable or general discharge. This type of discharge is not based on your actions but rather a general character assessment. 

Under some circumstances, veterans who received other than honorable discharges can still qualify for Social Security Benefits for the Military. Learn more about what constitutes an honorable discharge and how to obtain one by contacting your local military Court Martial Lawyer today.

You might be eligible for certain benefits if honorably discharged from the military. However, if you were not honorably discharged, you may still qualify for benefits if you can show that your discharge was due to factors beyond your control. Military discharge lawyers can help you navigate applying for benefits and ensure you receive the benefits you are entitled to. Military discharge lawyers can understand your rights and options and represent you in appeals or other legal proceedings.

If you were deployed to Iraq during the war and did not receive an honorable military discharge, there may be relief available to you. The Stolen Valor Act of 2013 made it a federal crime to lie about having received military honors or medals, with punishments including a fine, imprisonment for up to one year, or both. 

However, suppose you can show that your less-than-honorable discharge resulted from PTSD or another mental health condition related to your service. In that case, you may be able to have your record upgraded. Military discharge lawyers may also be able to assist you in upgrading your discharge status.

Who Qualifies for a Discharge Upgrade?

Many Iraq War veterans didn’t receive an honorable military discharge. You may be eligible for a discharge upgrade if you are one of these veterans.

To qualify for a discharge upgrade, you must first show that your less-than-honorable discharge resulted from an error or injustice. You will need to provide evidence to support your claim. Once you have done so, the Department of Defense will review your case and decide.

If you are approved for a discharge upgrade, your military record will be updated to reflect your honorable service. It can open up opportunities for benefits and employment that were previously not available to you. It can also help to clear your name and restore your honor.

Social Security Benefits for Military

Social Security benefits are available to certain military members with injuries or illnesses that began during their military service. It is a long and complex process, so you should speak with an experienced UCMJ attorney about your specific circumstances as soon as possible.

If you served in the military during the Iraq War and did not receive an honorable discharge, you may still be eligible for social security benefits. Several benefits are available to those who served in the military, including disability, retirement, and survivor benefits. 

You may also qualify for health care benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs. You should contact the Social Security Administration if you believe you are eligible for any of these benefits.

Why Would I Want To Upgrade My Discharge?

If you were discharged from the military without an honorable discharge, there are a few reasons why you may want to upgrade your discharge. 

  • First, an upgraded discharge can make it easier to find a job. Many employers prefer to hire veterans with an honorable discharge. 
  • Second, an upgraded discharge can help you access veteran benefits that you may not be eligible for with a less-than-honorable discharge. 
  • Finally, upgrading your discharge can help improve your sense of self-worth and honor.

How To Get An Upgrade

If you are an Iraq War veteran that did not receive an honorable military discharge, there are a few things you can do to try and get an upgrade. 

  • First, you can contact your local member of Congress or senator and ask them to help you with the process. 
  • Second, you can write a letter to the Secretary of Defense requesting an upgrade. 
  • Finally, you can submit a request for an upgrade through the Board for Correction of Military Records.

How Can You Get a Better Military Discharge Status?

There are several ways that you can get a better military discharge status. If you are still in the military, you can try to get a Board for Correction of Military Records (BCMR) or a Discharge Review Board (DRB) to change your discharge. You can also go through upgrading your discharge with your service branch.

If you have already left the military, you can still try to upgrade your discharge through the BCMR or DRB process. You can also file a petition with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for a “letter of correction” or “correction of military records.”

If you believe your discharge was unjust, you can file a lawsuit against the Iraqi government. It is a complicated process. You should speak with an attorney before taking this step.


It is possible that your discharge was unlawfully changed. Don’t let an unlawful discharge keep you from receiving all of your earned benefits. Talk to a court martial lawyer and a UCMJ attorney who can help you overturn your dishonorable discharge from military service, including those unjustly convicted of crimes at Court Martial. 

If you are serving with a less-than-honorable military discharge, contact a Social Security Disability Lawyer as soon as possible.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss